Friday, January 26, 2007

A First Time For Everything

I bought my first album on the iTunes music store. I thought I could use an album to listen to on the airplane and have decided to move away from the illegal downloading I did in the past. What impressed me most about the process was how easy and quick it was to do. In literally two clicks I had purchased the album and in well under five minutes it was completely downloaded on my computer. In addition to that it was about four dollars cheaper than purchsing the physical CD online and about eight dollars cheaper than purchasing it at a real store. Plus it contains bonus tracks that aren't included on the phsical CD. Overall it was an awesome experience.

The album I got was Of Montreal's new album "Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer?" and it is amazingly good. Amazingly good! I listened briefly to one or two songs in Jason's car last night but due to the large quantaties of alcohol and the small size of the speakers much of it was lost on me. I was intruiged though because what I did pick up on was that the album sounds completely different than their early stuff like "Cherry Peel" and "The Gay Parade". The lo-fi aesthetic has been left behind for some awesome synths and drum machines. The excellent songwriting remains.