Monday, October 29, 2007

"M" - the Korean movie

I just watched the movie Korean movie "M" at a theater in Omogyo. From seeing the trailers and hearing people's impressions ("very confusing") I got exactly what I expected and enjoyed every minute of it.

The film plays alternatively like a music video director's first feature length film and a film student's first feature length film. I don't know much about the making of the film or the people making it, but I assume this is the case. Very ambitious, very experimental, the visual and sound design was amazing, and it was very pretentious, confusing, and (being a Korean film) melodramatic.

I should also add that I watched the film without subtitles, so I understood approximately 3 lines of dialouge. All of those lines being 'hello'. While I'm sure that detracted a little from my enjoyment of the film, it allowed me to focus on the formal elements of the film. And yes, I didn't need subtitles to see why my friends thought the film was very confusing.

I'm considering going to another film right now. I'm meeting Doona later at 9, and it's 6:30 right now. That should be perfect timing. I should go see what's playing. First I'm going to read up on the news, then I'll see what else I can watch without subtitles.